In this episode, Dr. Cox continues his discussion on the influence of the vagus nerve in health and healing. He also shares a paper on mechanobiology, that is, how the cells of the body are constantly remodeling and adapting to their ever-changing mechanical environment. He concludes with a paper that goes beyond the 5 senses of sight, hearing, touch, smell, and taste to the newly described seventh sense.
James M. Cox, DC, DACBR, FICC, Hon.D.Litt., FACO(H)
Dr. Cox is the developer of Cox® Technic Flexion Distraction Manipulation and the proud participant in the on-going federal research projects involving the Keiser University, National University of Health Sciences, Palmer College of Chiropractic Research Center, Loyola Stritch School of Medicine, University of Illinois, University of Iowa, Auburn University, etc. He is a member of the postgraduate faculty of the National University of Health Sciences and has been privileged to speak throughout the world.
About Dr. Cox
- HHS Public Access Author manuscript Brain Behav Immun . Author manuscript; available in PMC 2019 January 04. Published in final edited form as: Brain Behav Immun . 2018 October ; 73: 441–449. doi:10.1016/j.bbi.2018.06.005.
- Joanna L. Ng, Mariana E. Kersh, Sharon Kilbreath and M. Knothe Tate. Establishing the Basis for Mechanobiology-Based Physical Therapy Protocols to Potentiate Cellular Healing and Tissue Regeneration. Front.physiol.,06 June 2017 https://doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2017.00303
- Kevin P. Cheng, Sarah K. Brodnick, Stephan L. Blanz, Weifeng Zeng, Jack Kegel, Jane A. Pisaniello, Jared P. Ness, Erika Ross, View ORCID ProfileEvan N. Nicolai, Megan L. Settell, Is Vagus Nerve Stimulation Brain Washing? doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/733410
- Cuoco J, Fnnie C, Cheriyan G: Hypothetical Link Between Osteopathic Suboccipital Decompression and Neuroimmunomodulation. J Neurol Neurosci. 2016, 7: S3.
- Christopher Bergland. Vagus Nerve Stimulation Dramatically Reduces Inflammation: Stimulating the vagus nerve reduces inflammation and the symptoms of arthritis. PSYCHOLOGY TODAY, posted July 6, 2016
- Stanley Rosenberg: Accessing The Healing Power Of The Vagus Nerve. North Atlantic Books, Berkeley, CA
- Berrueta L, Muskaj I, Olenich S, Butler T, Badger GJ, Colas RA, Spite M, Serhan CN, Langevin HM. Stretching Impacts Inflammation Resolution in Connective Tissue. J Cell Physiol. 2015 Nov 20. doi: 10.1002/jcp.25263. [Epub ahead of print]
- Teodorczyk-Injeyan JA1, Triano JJ1, Injeyan HS2. Non-specific Low Back Pain: Inflammatory Profiles of Patients with Acute and Chronic Pain. Clin J Pain. 2019 Jul 5. doi: 10.1097/AJP.0000000000000745. [Epub ahead of print]
- Song XJ, Huang ZJ, Song WB, Song XS, Fuhr AF, Rosner AL, Ndtan H, Rupert RL. Attenuation Effect of Spinal Manipulation on Neuropathic and Postoperative Pain Through Activating Endogenous Anti-Inflammatory Cytokine Interleukin 10 in Rat Spinal Cord. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2016 Jan 30. pii: S0161-4754(15)00211-0. doi: 10.1016/j.jmpt.2015.12.004.
Compiled by James M. Cox, DC, DACBR